A richly illustrated guide to the gemstones of the world
Gemstones have been a source of delight and fascination for thousands of years, from the icy brilliance of diamond and the soft iridescence of pearl to tough jade gems once utilized in weapons and pink topaz that used to be popular in Victorian jewelry. This book covers each and every known form of gemstone, exploring each and every one’s unique beauty, rarity, and durability. It reveals how gems form, where they’re found and mined, tips on how to identify them, and more. With sumptuous color photos during, Gemstones offers dazzling insights into the world of the rare and the valuable.
- Covers each and every roughly gemstone known to exist
- Features a wealth of beautiful, full-color photos
- Discusses the natural history of gemstones and their physical and chemical properties
- Explains tips on how to distinguish the true from the fake
- Discusses cutting and polishing techniques and their use in adornment during history
- Includes invaluable identification tips